EA remove objection to development within Groundwater Source Protection Zone (SPZ1)
A planning application for residential development at the above site received an initial objection from the Environment Agency (EA) due to the following issues:
- The site is located within a Groundwater Source Protection Zone (SPZ1)
- Proposals include the construction of a large basement below the water table within the protected chalk aquifer
- Ground source heating and cooling boreholes
- Discharge of road and carpark runoff directly to the ‘main river’ onsite
Following the EA’s objection, McCloy Consulting prepared a Hydrogeological Risk Assessment that included detailed quantitative analysis and groundwater flow modelling. The EA reviewed the risk assessment report, data analysis, and model files and were subsequently in a position to remove their objection.
A positive outcome for this aspect of the planning application!
The main benefits and technical capabilities we brought to this project were:
- Specific expertise in groundwater flow and contaminant transport
- Appropriate design and management of intrusive site investigation – borehole drilling works and aquifer / groundwater testing and monitoring
- Detailed groundwater flow modelling using MODFLOW
- Dewatering calculations and impact assessment
- Contaminant transport assessment including assimilative / dilution capacity assessment
- Proactive liaison with Environment Agency to ensure that the findings of the assessment would be acceptable prior to submission
- Completion of assessment within extremely tight timeframe to meet planning application submission date
- Sensitive handling of a site located within a SPZ1
If you require similar services feel free to give us a call on 028 9084 8694, or send some info through to email@example.com
Read more about our Hydrogeological services here.